Friday, November 14, 2008

Cool article for parents...

http://slate.com/id/2204113/pagenum/all/#p2

My favorite part:
Frequently, we want something very simple from kids, like peace and quiet. Is
that too much to ask for? Sometimes, it is. Come nap time, you may be thinking,
"OK, I fed you, I changed you, I tucked you into your crib with your special
blanket and teddy bear, I even bought this expensive mobile to hang over you.
You're not teething—I checked. Everything's perfect. Children your age are
supposed to take a nap. Your nap is scheduled for right now, and I have a phone
call to make in nine minutes. Go to sleep right now!" If your child could
articulate what's happening to him, he might respond, "I love the mobile, but my
bones are growing like bamboo at the moment, and it hurts. I think I'll stay up
and cry instead."

I never really understood the pressure/fascination with independent sleep for little ones. I mean what other mammals out there expect their little babies to sleep in a secluded, dark, jail-like contraption with phony nursery music playing?? The whole concept is crazy. I totally GET why babies cry...they want to be held and comforted. When babies are ready to sleep on their own they WILL sleep on their own. I totally relate to parents who need a break from their kids, but you also kinda signed up for the job AND there are ways to take a break. I don't think letting your kids cry themselves to sleep is the route selected by good, thoughtful parents.

1 comment:

Bettina said...

I have been there. It seems to me that when you want it the most it doesn't happen. But then came my second child, and when I least expected it, he was out... like a light! Why is that?